1. Do I need a Development Permit?
- Yes - All development within the RM of McKillop requires a permit. The only exceptions are some agricultural operations and fences and gates, however these things still have to follow the Zoning Bylaw and any other applicable Bylaws or Legislation.
2. What's the difference between a Development Permit and a Building Permit?
- Development Permits allows The RM to review a development to see if it meets the Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaw requirements and any other relevant policies or plans.
- Building Permits address life and safety issues of a structure. It gives authorization to erect, demolish, relocate, alter or repair a structure. A building permit application is reviewed for compliance with building code by a professional building inspector to ensure that our built environment is safe.
3. Do I need to pay Development fees?
- Yes - Unless, the development is for:
- an agriculture operation excluding residential development, intensive agriculture and intensive livestock.
- The erection of any fence, wall or gate.
- The erection of a single residence Satellite dish, television antennae, or radio antennae.
- Disposal of clean fill on a site where the clean fill is generated by construction or demolition activity on that sire, subject to compliance with all federal and provincial requirements.
4. Do I need a Geotech Report?
- Yes - As of September 14th, 2015, all projects in Lakeshore Development districts and Recreational Resort district involving excavation require a current site-specific geotechnical report or a stamped letter of project support from a Saskatchewan Geotechnical Engineer. Projects in Agricultural district, Hamlet district and Country Residential district will require geotechnical reports if they are located in the Environmentally Sensitive Overlay.
5. How long will it take to process my development application?
- 4-6 weeks - The RM of McKillop tries very hard to expedite applications as quickly as possible but things do still take time. We appreciate your patience.
6. Can I build a garage before I build my house?
- Yes - You can build a garage before your house provided you put down a security deposit. The garage can only be on the property without a principle dwelling for 5years. After which you have to apply for development and building permits. You will also need Development and Building Permits.
7. What are Set-backs?
- Setbacks - The distance required to obtain the front, rear, and side yards provisions of the RM Zoning Bylaw. In other words, they are the minimum distances a building has to be from property lines, roads, structures and/or other buildings
8. Will my new shed be assessed and/or impact my taxes?
- Yes - Any shed (accessory building) 100 and over ft2 is assessed as an improvement on your land by SAMA and will affect your taxes.